Metro Committee Agenda
RESCUE MUNI - METRO COMMITTEE
Wednesday July 11, 2001, 6:00 PM
at SPUR, 312 Sutter, Fifth Floor
6:00 Introductions, Agenda Additions, Minutes Approval, Announcements
6:10 Status of previous resolutions
6:20 Status of M and N Studies
6:40 New Items
7:20 Select Future Discussion Items
7:30 Adjournment, Next Metro Committee meeting Wed. August 8, 2001
Howard will probably not be in town in time for this meeting. Someone
please chair and take
Present: Jim Ahlquist, Joan Downey, Howard Strassner and David Vartanoff
1) It is time to remind Muni of agreements at last meeting: to schedule
ameeting on West Portal and sat thank you for scgehdule info.
2) Thank Muni for Castro shuttle and recommend that it would be better if
shuttle ran to Caltrain rather than N.
3) We selected the following more costly items for ŚN‚ Line improvements:
a) Stop lights instead of stop sign with priorities and ped countdown; b)
Full length elevated platforms at key stops; c) Ticket vending machines;
and Next bus display at Duboce. These items should also be considered as
the RM recommendation for cost benefit study items for the Shelley Town
4) We will discuss turn backs at a future meeting. This should also be
considered as a study item for the Townhall.
5) We recommend that there is no need for station agents in the subway
and that the booths should be removed. A roving "ambassador" person will
be useful at the Powell Street Station.
6) Fare Checkers should be more helpful and should not work in pairs.
Suggested possible New Items:
A) Cable Cars - If we get some more volunteers we could help run the
B) No pass signals on Metro cars (similar to school buses) This might be
less costly than less of paint at many locations and more effective.
C) Support for more signal lights with Muni preempts and ped countdown to
replace stop signs.
D) Elimination of Station agent position and replacement with better area
Possible Future Items: 1. Increasing Scheduled switchbacks - locations
and frequency; 2. Phones and Lights in stations; 3. Embarcadero
dispatching/line delays; 4. LRV availability;
5. Follow up on Maps; 6. Review and comment on Third Street LRV EIR
7..Expand Proof of Payment; 8. Printing/ posting of schedules 9.
Investigate where Muni is vis a vis construction of further Metro
lines/LRV's; 10. Fare Gates to Accept other passes; 11. Station Agents
[ RM Home Page ]